The Office of Vital Statistics registers all of the birth and death certificates within Tulare County. We can register your out-of-hospital birth, get a certified copy of a recent birth or death certificate, and/or provide you with the information needed to amend a birth or death record. You may come in person to our office or mail your request. Application forms are available in both English and Spanish.
Current County fees:
- Birth Certificate—$29
- Death Certificate—$24
- Fetal Death Certificate—$21
- Burial Permit—$12
Pursuant to California Health and Safety Code Section 103526 only specific individuals are allowed to receive an AUTHORIZED CERTIFIED COPY; please see below for a list of authorized individuals.
Those who are not authorized may receive an INFORMATIONAL CERTIFIED COPY with the words "INFORMATIONAL, NOT A VALID DOCUMENT TO ESTABLISH IDENTITY" imprinted across the face of the copy.
Individuals permitted to receive an AUTHORIZED CERTIFIED COPY are:
- The registrant or a parent or legal guardian of the registrant
- A party entitled to receive the record as a result of a court order, or an attorney or a licensed adoption agency seeking the birth record in order to comply with the requirements of Section 3140 or 7603 of the Family Code
- A member of a law enforcement agency or a representative of another governmental agency, as provided by law, who is conducting official business
- A child, grandparent, grandchild, sibling, spouse, or state registered domestic partner of the registrant
- An attorney representing the registrant or the registrant's estate, or any person or agency empowered by statute or appointed by a court to act on behalf of the registrant or the registrant's estate
- Any funeral director that orders certified copies of a death certificate on behalf of any individual specified in paragraphs (1) to (5), inclusive, of subdivision (a) of Section 7100 of the Health and Safety Code
To view the complete Health and Safety Code, visit:
Please note: This office can only provide copies of certificates for the current year and the preceding year. For all prior years, contact the Tulare County Clerk’s Office at (559) 636-5051.
Related Documents & Links
- Application for Birth Certificate
Click this link to download the Application for Birth Certificate
- Application for a Death Certificate
Click this link to download the Application for a Death Certificate.
- For Funeral Homes - Application for Death Certificate
Click this link to download the application for Death Certificate intended for funeral homes.