Health Insurance Counseling and Advocacy Program (HICAP)
If you have questions about your Medicare rights and benefits, look no further - the Health Insurance Counseling and Advocacy Program (HICAP) can help.
HICAP counselors are trained in Medicare and Medicare/Medi-Cal Savings Programs (MSP). Counselors can explain the many different insurance options to find the best fit for you or someone you care for.
These are some of the issues we can help you with:
- How to sign up for Medicare now that you are almost 65
- Information about Medicare parts A, B, C, and D
- Questions on prescription drug coverage, co-pays, and eligibility rules
- Medicare and employer group health plans (retiree)
- Help filing an appeal or challenging a denial
- What is covered by Medicare
- Comparing benefits when choosing a plan
- Understanding Medi-Cal’s share of cost
- Medi-Cal benefits comparison with Medicare Advantage
- Gap in medication coverage
- Extra help in paying for prescription coverage (Limited Income Subsidy Program-LIS)
- Replacing your Medicare card
- Suspected Medicare fraud (Senior Medicare Patrol-SMP)
- Long-term-care insurance
HICAP services are free of charge and are available at several locations throughout Tulare and Kings Counties, including Dinuba, Hanford, Porterville, Tulare, and Visalia. You can also learn about Medicare or Medi-Cal by attending one of the many community presentations or conferences conducted by HICAP counselors.