Verify contraindications and precautions to vaccination.
- Pre-Vaccination Screening Form (for Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna COVID-19 Vaccines)
- Product Information Guide – (instructions for thawing vaccine)
The expiration date should be checked prior to preparing or administering the vaccine. Expired vaccine or diluent should NEVER be used. As additional stability data become available, the expiration dates for some products may change. Follow the instructions below to determine the expiration date:
- ModernaCOVID-19 vaccine: To determine the expiration date, providers can scan the QR code located on the vial or carton or access the manufacturer’s website directly, enter the lot number and the expiration date will be displayed. CDC’s COVID-19 Vaccine Expiration Date Tracking Tool can help providers keep track of the expiration date by lot number.
- Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine: This vaccine product has an expiration date located on the vaccine vial. CDC will be updating VTrckS effective immediately to replace the placeholder date in VTrckS with the actual expiration date.
Right route and technique
Report all administration errors per facility protocol and take corrective action immediately. Report vaccine errors to the Vaccine Error Reporting Program (VERP)
Report any adverse reactions to VAERS and document per your facility's protocol.
Report any needlestick injuries per facility protocol and refer for medical treatment and evaluation if needed.
Encourage staff and residents to enroll in v-safe
- See Observation periods following vaccination in this Guidance from CDC