Do you find it difficult to take care of yourself and your home? Do you think you might need nursing home care soon? If you qualify for Medi-Cal, you might want to contact the In-Home Supportive Services (IHSS) program, which pays for services that enable aged, blind, and disabled individuals to continue living safely in their own homes and avoid or delay the need for nursing home care.
When you apply for assistance from IHSS, a social worker will visit your home to talk with you about the type of tasks you need help to perform, then authorizes services according to your ability to perform certain daily activities. Services may include:
- Household chores, such as cooking, cleaning, and laundry
- Shopping and running errands
- Personal care services, like dressing, bathing, and feeding
- Medical accompaniment when deemed necessary
- Supervision of non-self directing individuals
Once approved for IHSS services, you choose and hire someone to provide your care; that person will receives wages directly from IHSS.
If you are an IHSS Provider, please click here to visit the IHSS Provider page for additional information.
Related Documents and Links
- In-Home Supportive Services Program Overview
Click here for an IHSS program overview.
- In-Home Supportive Services Frequently Asked Questions
Click here for a list of IHSS frequently asked questions.
- In-Home Supportive Services Brochure
Click here for an IHSS brochure.