Lead can be very dangerous for children. Lead poisoning can affect your child’s ability to learn, to pay attention, to grow normally, and to behave appropriately.
There are a number of ways your child could come in contact with lead. For example, lead is in the paint and dust in homes and buildings built before 1978. It is also in some pots and dishes that are old, handmade, or made outside the U.S. Certain cosmetics and imported candy also contain lead.
If you think your child may have been exposed to lead, the Public Health Department can help. Our Childhood Lead Poisoning Prevention Program works to prevent the damaging effects of lead poisoning. We can provide home visits, environmental home inspections, and nutritional assessments to families of children found to be severely lead-poisoned.
The program also provides education to medical providers and to the community, through health fairs and presentations on lead poisoning and the prevention of lead poisoning.
To get help or find out more about lead poisoning, see the "Contact and Location" and "Resources" tabs.